<

>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Ethereum Foundation using Archive-It. This page was captured on 15:50:38 Jun 23, 2021 , and is part of the Community collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Three GPU rig PSU. Difference between running over 50%+ load and running under 50% load?

renaldoaoarenaldoaoa Member Posts: 8
For the record, per the "Cleaning Up This Forum" sticky post, I have spent more than 30mins searching this forum, and I have yet to find an answer to this particular question.

I want to run my 1060 6GB along with 2 new 1070's.

I am thinking of running a Gold 650watt, but I also like the idea of getting a 1000watt.

I could possibly add 3 more GPUs down the road for a total of 6, "if" I COI the cost of the two new GPUs and the PSU. What I just said there "automatically" makes peeps reply that the 1000watt is the better option since there is "hope" that later down the road I'll get 3 more GPUs.

In truth, I have no clue if I'll actually add 3 more (total 6) and even if I knew that I 100% would, I'd be looking at 6-12months before I even COI'd.

From research, I understand that you don't get the power savings until you use 50%+ of your power, so I figure I wouldn't hit 50% of a 1000watt by running 3 total GPUs. I run a lower voltage on my 1060, and I plan to do the same with the 1070's.

Would the savings of using a lower watt PSU at 50%+ load over 6-12 months more cost effective than paying more for a totally OP PSU that would run "well" under 50% load for that time period?

Comments

• cjclm7cjclm7 Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2017
    My suggestion:
    check the cost of a single PSU (1000 seems short, you might need to go for 1200 for overclocking the 6) against a 2 PSU solution (2 x 650 or 2x750 or 2x850). You might find that the dual PSU solution will be more interesting.

Also you can start now with a single cheaper 850W (can take up to 4 GPU) then later add the second PSU. Is easy to connect 2 PSU to same motherboard. For that the best solution is to use a Y cable to start automatically the second PSU. You can also use a simple steel clip on second PSU to start it (there are several videos on youtube on how to do it). I used both methods on my first rig of 6 GTX 1060 but prefer the first method (Y cable).
  • renaldoaoarenaldoaoa Member Posts: 8
    cjclm7 said:

My suggestion:
    check the cost of a single PSU (1000 seems short, you might need to go for 1200 for overclocking the 6) against a 2 PSU solution (2 x 650 or 2x750 or 2x850). You might find that the dual PSU solution will be more interesting.

Also you can start now with a single cheaper 850W (can take up to 4 GPU) then later add the second PSU. Is easy to connect 2 PSU to same motherboard. For that the best solution is to use a Y cable to start automatically the second PSU. You can also use a simple steel clip on second PSU to start it (there are several videos on youtube on how to do it). I used both methods on my first rig of 6 GTX 1060 but prefer the first method (Y cable).

Thank you for that information!