<

>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Ethereum Foundation using Archive-It. This page was captured on 17:36:50 Jun 25, 2021 , and is part of the Community collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

How to initiate a contract transaction from JavaScript that also sends ether to the contract?

ThePiachuThePiachu Member Posts: 16
edited June 2015 in web3-js
I am currently reading the JavaScript API tutorial (https://dappsforbeginners.wordpress.com/tutorials/javascript-api-2/), and I see there are options for initiating contract transactions from the script:

contract.sendCoin('0x878965387afd76fd008e7668','500')

as well as ways to initiate payments with ether:

web3.eth.transact({to: document.querySelector('#recipient').value ,value: document.querySelector('#value').value});

however, what should I call in order to do both in the same transaction? I want to send ether to a given contract AND pass some data at the same time. This would be similar to the "contribute" function from https://dappsforbeginners.wordpress.com/tutorials/contracts-that-send-transactions/ :
//function to contributes to the campaign
    function contribute(uint campaignID) {
        Campaign c = campaigns[campaignID];
        Funder f = c.funders[c.numFunders++];
        f.addr = msg.sender;
        f.amount = msg.value;
        c.amount += f.amount;
    }
Post edited by StephanTual on

Comments

• kvhnukekvhnuke Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2015
    i think this should work:

web3.eth.contract(your-abi-definition).yourFunction.sendTransaction('function parameters..', {from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei(your-amount,'ether')});
    Post edited by StephanTual on
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Please use the <code> tags guys :) Updated your posts, please spread the word :)
  • PranayPranay Member Posts: 58
    Thank you for information @kvhnuke .
  • ThePiachuThePiachu Member Posts: 16
    Hmm, I tried your solution @kvhnuke , but I don't think it worked.

Here is my exact test code:

Ethereum contract:

contract Simple { string32 message; function Simple() { message = "Hello world!"; } function SetMessage(string32 newMessage) { if (msg.value < 1 finney) { message = "Cheapskate!"; } else { message = newMessage; } } }

HTML code:

<!DOCTYPE html> <head> <meta charset="UTF-8"> <script type="text/javascript"> var contractDesc = [ { "name": "SetMessage(string32)", "type": "function", "inputs": [ { "name": "newMessage", "type": "string32" } ] } ]; function cheap() { contract = web3.eth.contract('0x642ae5e1e213e15a6a4b3c58a0c6eaac2859440b', contractDesc); contract.SetMessage(document.getElementById('message').value); }; function message() { contract = web3.eth.contract('0x642ae5e1e213e15a6a4b3c58a0c6eaac2859440b', contractDesc); contract.SetMessage.sendTransaction(document.getElementById('message').value, {from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei('2','ether')}); }; </script> </head> <body> <div> <div> <h3>Set message:</h3> </div> <div> <input id="message" class="form-control" type="text" placeholder="Message"></input><br> </div> <button onclick="cheap();">Be Cheap</button> <button onclick="message();">Set message</button> </div> </body> </html>

Calling `cheap()` works as expected - the transaction is sent and the contract changes `message` to "Cheapskate!". Calling `message` does nothing - it doesn't even bring up the notification that a transaction will be sent.
  • innovator256innovator256 Member Posts: 5
    If you look at the api : web3.eth.sendTransaction(transactionObject [, callback]) here :
    https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/JavaScript-API#web3ethsendtransaction
    the transaction object needs to have some properties most of which are optional :

{from , to, value, gas, gasPrice, data, nonce}

In your case you have the "from" and the "value" properties of the object ie:

{from, value} :: {from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei('2','ether')}

from your code:
    function message() {
            contract = web3.eth.contract('0x642ae5e1e213e15a6a4b3c58a0c6eaac2859440b', contractDesc);
            contract.SetMessage.sendTransaction(document.getElementById('message').value, {from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei('2','ether')});
    };
    you are leaving some properties blank which in your case defaults to contract creation. if you want to send to a specific contract you can specify the "to" property like so

{from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei('2','ether'), to: "contractAddress"}

if you want to send data with it also :

{from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei('2','ether'), to: "contractAddress", data:"dataIWantToSend"}

Hope it helps...
    So the correct use would be something like

web3.eth.sendTransaction({from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei('2','ether'), to: contractAddress, data: document.getElementById('message').value});

? That doesn't appear to work. Looking at https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/JavaScript-API#web3ethsendtransaction isn't all that useful since it shows how to submit a contract, not send data to a contract.
  • innovator256innovator256 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, in the data field try :

data: web3.fromAscii( document.getElementById('message').value')

you are trying to pass ascii characters by default. Needs to be hex format for parsing..

I will do some vid tutorials, along side other things coming up...
    Still doesn't work.

function message() { contract = web3.eth.contract(contractAddress, contractDesc); //contract.SetMessage.sendTransaction(document.getElementById('message').value, {from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei('2','ether')}); web3.eth.sendTransaction( { from: web3.eth.coinbase, value:web3.toWei('2','ether'), to: contractAddress, //data: web3.fromAscii( document.getElementById('message').value ) //data: web3.fromAscii( 'TEST' ) data: '0x0000000000000000000000000000000000000000' }); }

Tried with the data being fetched, simple text being converted, and simple hex string, still nothing - not even a notification warning about transaction being sent.

The exact code I'm using is at:

https://github.com/ThePiachu/EtherTest/blob/master/Simple.html
  • PranayPranay Member Posts: 58
    any solution you get?
  • jesus666jesus666 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I think the actual problem in your case is that you're not specifying gas or gasPrice. Try the same sendTransation with

gas: "1000000"
    gasPrice: web3.eth.gasPrice