<

>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Ethereum Foundation using Archive-It. This page was captured on 06:30:19 Jun 28, 2021 , and is part of the Community collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Smart Contract that executes something when the contract address receives ether.

Hey guys,

Just want to start off by saying I'm not a professional programmer. I'm a complete hobbyist, but I've been messing around on the Rinkeby test net writing and compiling very simple smart contracts cause I thought it'd be fun.

I am currently just executing my smart contract's functions through the Ethereum wallet app via the contract's admin page. I was wondering if it is possible to make a smart contract that executes a function when it receives a regular ether transaction to it, and not by the function calls through the wallet app.

So you get what I'm talking about, here's an extremely simple and pointless example:

Every time the address received a transaction of ether from anyone sending to it, it would automatically increase a "deposits" variable by 1, without the sender or admin having to tell it to do that.

Is something like that possible?

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• EtherGeekEtherGeek Member Posts: 34
    Yes, definetly is, but I don't quite know how it would be done. I think you could write that in your wallet UI possibly, would love to see the code, of course gas will be consumed by such an operation. I would like to write a small one say at each 3 receptions the contract would send back all ether received to the sender, just to see, would be curious.
  • joriglierijoriglieri Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply!

So, what you're saying is that I'd need to write that functionality into the actual wallet client and not the smart contract itself?

Thanks,

Joe
  • EtherGeekEtherGeek Member Posts: 34
    No no, the code definetly has go in the smart contract. The wallet you are using is just a user interface to allow you to do that. After further review, it is my understanding that each time a transaction is sent to your contract it's code will be executed. Keep us posted on your trials.